[meteorite-list] Wrangel Island Meteorites (from R Harvey with permission)

From: Francis Graham <francisgraham_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:31 2004

Hi, the arctic has a lot of generic problems as
sites for meteorite
concentrations by ice- fast moving, young ice,
relatively warm conditions
(Antarctica is on average between 20 and 50 deg.
colder during the year for
given latitude and altitude), higher accumulation
rates. In my humble
opinion only portions of the NE side of Greenland
approaches the kinds of
conditions thought to support Antarctic meteorite
concentration mechanisms.
For those reasons I wouldn't expect a meteorite
concentration site on a
"small" icesheet like Wrangell. See Harvey et
al. (2001) Meteoritics and
Planetary Science 36, p. 807-816 for my
thoroughly objective opinion on
where Arctic meteorite concentrations might be.

best, rph

.. >Dear List,
> Have any meteorites been found on Wrangel
Island?
>While looking at some wind and surface
conditions,
>including possible ice ablative winds; seems
like