[meteorite-list] Rose City H5 Chondrite Auction Questioning/Picture

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:30 2004

March 18, 2002

Greetings Meteorite Enthusiasts!

Long time no type, I must agree! Since the advent of
Lent, I decided to cut back on using the computer
except for work and special matters, which excludes
Sundays, of course.

But now, someone has opened up an interesting
discussion concerning one of my favorite meteorites
--- Rose City. Since I am still intently searching
the area in my county (Newaygo) for a Michigan
meteorite, it so happens that I like to learn
everything I can about the fascinating specimens and
rumors of meteorites that have been found in the
state. This has boiled down in a way to include
keeping track of such meteorites that are being
offered for sale.

Tom, or his ebay User ID: topaz.mineral.expl is the
only person I have so far come across that ever sells
Michigan meteorites on ebay, which according to his
auctions, is also the only source I know of for the
rare Rose City H5 chondrite (fall, 1921), Grand Rapids
IRANOM octahedrite (find, 1883), and Seneca Township
fine octahedrite (find, 1923). As of recent, it
appears that he has put up a lot of Michigan meteorite
pieces for bid, including the big chunk (28.7g) of
what he calls Rose City; the cause of current
questioning. Despite that, that particular auction
evidently caused some hearty bidding and ended a
little while ago.

When I first started visiting his auctions, I was
dumfounded that a person was actually selling Michigan
meteorites, of which I am gathering, are not very
commonly offered for sale! This prompted me to
finally ask him where he was able to get such a big
and handsome piece of Rose City and Allegan, which at
the time referred to large sized samples from both
falls. He e-mailed me back (Thursday, September 20,