[meteorite-list] Tenham

From: Piper R.W. Hollier <piper_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:30 2004

Hello Rob and list,

The following information (not much more than what you already have) is
from an article "The mass distribution of an aerolite shower (Tenham,
Queensland, 1879)" by B. Hellyer in The Observatory, Vol. 91, p. 64-66 (1971):

"The fragments of the meteorite fell in 1879 near the Tenham station, South
Gregory, in western Queensland. Although the fall was seen by a number of
people its exact date has not been extablished; it apparently took place
during February -- or possibly in March or April -- of that year. The time
of fall was between 2 and 3 a.m. local time. Bright meteors were seen to be
moving roughly from west to east and stones were subsequently recovered
from over a large area, about 12 miles long by 3 miles wide. Unusually, the
largest stones seem to have fallen at the beginning rather than at the end
of the distribution ellipse."

Full text of this article is available online from NASA/ADS:

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abstract_service.html

Type "Tenham" in the Enter Title Words field and click the Send Query
button. The database will return a list which includes several other
technical articles in addition to the Hellyer article. Some of these may
contain information of interest as well.

Best regards,

Piper Hollier