[meteorite-list] New Moroccan Fall

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:30 2004

>The previously offered price is NO LONGER VALID for those who did >not make
>initial requests.

Hmmm. Farmer said that he would be selling it next week for $2. What about
the people who never emailed him but just decided to wait for him to put it
on sale next week for $2 expecting him to follow through on his word like
his reputation for keeping his word would normally indicate?
Oh, well. I wrote this email because still have it for $15 a gram like I
alwys had. Nice individuals with lots of crust. And mine was picked up the
day of the fall. The material that me, meteorlab, bruno, gregory and Rob has
was all picked up within a day or two after the fall. It fell in a military
area and was witnessed by many people who quickly picked up the stones.
Between us we cleaned Morocco dry and tried to get more but there was no
more of this meteorite left. Farmer got lucky and showed up just as the new
stuff from Algeria showed up in Erfoud which apparantly included the biggest
pieces so it appears that my hopes of owning the main mass wont be
materialized. However, the material from algeria was only picked up more
recently and not within days of the fall. The meteorites from algeria was
still on the ground when it rained and so has been exposed to rain. This
meteorite is very porous and much more suseptable to water damage than most
LL meteorites are. You will likely find that you will have more problems
with material that came from algeria over the moroccan material that was
picked up right after the fall and before it rained - even if it looks nice
in the beginning - which I am sure that it well because the crust is just
stunning.
I would also like to point out to everybody that I have a 1.1 kilo one on
ebay for around $9 a gram. I also have the largest one that fell in morocco
at 1472 grams (It is killer with about 98% crust) but it appears that the
main mass will have fallen in algeria. But if you want some for $15 let me
know what size you want. Farmer says that he has a "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT" as per
Jims Stropes email so you never know what the future price will be once he
makes his anouncement. And remember that my stuff was picked up before the
rain so should likely command a premium.
Cheers
DEAN
PS:
My apologies for my email to John. That was a bit to much.