[meteorite-list] Digital Photography

From: John Gwilliam <jkgdiver_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:28 2004

Up until recently, the one greatest advantage of 35mm pictures over digital
was the ability to have actual high quality prints for display. The
cameras in the 5 megapixel range are now capable of producing (with the
proper printer) 8 x 10s that cannot be distinguished from 35mm prints by
most people.

Jim's mention of the time advantage is what is going to eventually do in
the 35mm process - in our business anyway. Many of us can relate to the
situation of needing an image to send to a potential client ASAP. Set up
the 35mm, get the lighting as perfect as possible, bracket your shots (2EV,
-1EV, 0EV, +1EV, and +2EV ), blow an entire roll of film on one specimen,
run to the one hour photo shop.....you all get my point.

Digital is here to stay and will dominate the photo industry within a few
years. The 35mm format will still be used, but more out of
tradition. Many of my professional photography friends are making the
transition now.

John