[meteorite-list] Digital camera and meteorites

From: Alexander Seidel <ase_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:27 2004

Hi list,

with a new (secondary, Mo thru Fri) place to live for professional
reasons and a brandnew computer, I am now looking for a good quality
digital camera. This may sound a bit off-topic on the one hand, and I
may beat an old horse on the other hand, as this was already discussed
a good while ago, but actually I am thinking about photographing my
meteorite hand-specimen collection and thin section collection (with
the aid of my MBC-10 microscope) for the sake of documentation,
enjoyment and last but not least transfer of one or the other Jpeg
amongst meteorite friends.

Likely opinions and/or recommendations have changed since this topic
was discussed the last time, and high-end-cameras of two years ago may
well be mainstream cameras right now - but surely I am no expert on
this.

My question is: what would you folks, experienced with the use of
digital cameras along with meteorites, recommend as "a good,
reasonably priced" camera for this purpose? It really must not be a
high-end-high-price-product, but should work properly and yield good
results both with and without the microscope. What about zooming down
to details and what about resolution?

Any recommendations for my potential purchase will be highly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
Berlin/Germany