[meteorite-list] Asteroid Scare

From: John Reed <john_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:34 2004

--------------607B57B3172993FC3781BAE8

Does any one know what chances you would have of being pelted if you
lived in a giant space city ? Would it be an on going threat like a ship
navigating through ice bergs
Thanks John
MrX3010_at_aol.com wrote:

> Greetings I'm just another citizen who loves meteorites, only have a
> small Odessa but one day I'll find another. My post about the
> asteroid impact was just an observation that I've noticed since more
> and more "near misses" have been reported in the media. I too find it
> a bit disturbing when media outlets sensationalize such events, but as
> I said it's better to be safe than sorry and really in today's world I
> don't think an asteroid scare matters much to most common people.
> They need sensational artistic interpreted animations of giant
> fireballs destroying cities in order to fully understand the
> seriousness of the issue. That's why I say we need more education out
> there about asteroids and comets. Granted we should be careful about
> crying wolf one to many times but that wasn't the case this time.
> This thing was found three days after closest approach? Who knew?
> Hopefully we all will the next time it happens preferably before it
> happens.
>
> Thanks all,
>
> Ron

--------------607B57B3172993FC3781BAE8

Does any one know what chances you would have of being pelted if you lived
in a giant space city ? Would it be an on going threat like a ship navigating
through ice bergs<br>
Thanks John
I'm just another citizen who loves meteorites, only have a small Odessa
but one day I'll find another.&nbsp; My post about the asteroid impact
was just an observation that I've noticed since more and more "near misses"
have been reported in the media.&nbsp; I too find it a bit disturbing when
media outlets sensationalize such events, but as I said it's better to
be safe than sorry and really in today's world I don't think an asteroid
scare matters much to most common people.&nbsp; They need sensational artistic
interpreted animations of giant fireballs destroying cities in order to
fully understand the seriousness of the issue.&nbsp; That's why I say we
need more education out there about asteroids and comets.&nbsp; Granted
we should be careful about crying wolf one to many times but that wasn't
the case this time.&nbsp; This thing was found three days after closest
approach?&nbsp; Who knew? Hopefully we all will the next time it happens
preferably before it happens.</font></font>