[meteorite-list] Asteroid Scare

From: MrX3010_at_aol.com <MrX3010_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:34 2004

--part1_fd.19a76fb5.2a455cf4_boundary

Greetings I'm just another citizen who loves meteorites, only have a small
Odessa but one day I'll find another. My post about the asteroid impact was
just an observation that I've noticed since more and more "near misses" have
been reported in the media. I too find it a bit disturbing when media
outlets sensationalize such events, but as I said it's better to be safe than
sorry and really in today's world I don't think an asteroid scare matters
much to most common people. They need sensational artistic interpreted
animations of giant fireballs destroying cities in order to fully understand
the seriousness of the issue. That's why I say we need more education out
there about asteroids and comets. Granted we should be careful about crying
wolf one to many times but that wasn't the case this time. This thing was
found three days after closest approach? Who knew? Hopefully we all will the
next time it happens preferably before it happens.

Thanks all,

Ron

--part1_fd.19a76fb5.2a455cf4_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff"><FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2>Greetings I'm just another citizen who loves meteorites, only have a small Odessa but one day I'll find another.&nbsp; My post about the asteroid impact was just an observation that I've noticed since more and more "near misses" have been reported in the media.&nbsp; I too find it a bit disturbing when media outlets sensationalize such events, but as I said it's better to be safe than sorry and really in today's world I don't think an asteroid scare matters much to most common people.&nbsp; They need sensational artistic interpreted animations of giant fireballs destroying cities in order to fully understand the seriousness of the issue.&nbsp; That's why I say we need more education out there about asteroids and comets.&nbsp; Granted we should be careful about crying wolf one to many times but that wasn't the case this time.&nbsp; This thing was found three days after closest approach?&nbsp; Who knew? Hop
efully we all will the next time it happens preferably before it happens.<BR>
<BR>
Thanks all,<BR>
<BR>
Ron</FONT></HTML>