Fw: [meteorite-list] Making Micromount Meteorites

From: meteorite1.com <capricorn89_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:12 2004

Re: [meteorite-list] Making Micromount MeteoritesMembrane boxes represent a
new technology. While one-inch plastic boxes have their advantages,
primarily their low cost, membrane boxes have theirs as well. First of all,
the invisible membranes 'hug' the specimen so that it will not move. Even a
"Bessey speck" will stay in place, although I would not recommend using one
with something smaller than a grain of ordinary beach sand. If it is
angular, the top of a plastic box will push the specimen into the pad, with
stress on the piece. I lost a Governador Valadares Nakhlite when I opened
one of those little plastic micro boxes. It had slipped into the crack
between the pad and the side of the box and I wanted it to stay in the
center of the pad where I could display it. When I opened the lid, the
differential in air pressure caused it to leap out of the box. (MB's will do
that as well as the lids fit very tightly and you need to tug a bit to get
them off). I can remember seeing it in "slow motion" in a perfect parabolic
trajectory right off the shelf, into the air, and down into the thick carpet
three feet away. Very expensive vacuum cleaner dust! Fortunately Dean took
mercy and gave me a great price break on a replacement. Membrane boxes do
hold the specimen in place, with no stress, and you can turn and twist the
mb and see your specimen from all sides. If I have a micro with crust and a
polished side, I want to be able to see all of it. And they are very tight.
(I imagine the plastic boxes are probably just as tight, except with the
ones I had, the lids would jiggle off sometimes and the micros would get
mixed up. We had them in a display case where hundreds of children tramped
across the floor and banged around, causing everything to vibrate). By the
way, labels can be put on one side. Then you can see all of your specimen
as well as the label. I personally have a problem having to turn the box
over to see the label. Compare the value of your meteorite to the price of
the box. Compare a goat cart to an automobile! :=) All I can say is that
many of my clients, once seeing how membrane boxes work, transfer entire
collections to them, not just the micros, but larger pieces up to 6 x 12
inch slices. I use them exclusively for all the micros I sell.

I do use Riker-type boxes sometimes, and I use membrane boxes. I see a
choice for different reasons...different purposes, and everyone has their
favorite. I use the traditional 2 x 2 inch plastic boxes with inserts for
some of the specimens in our museum display. They stay in one place and
need only be viewed from the top, and for them that is a good use and fully
acceptable. The great advantage of the traditional box is that they are
dirt cheap and I can well understand the need for financial restraints with
meteorite collecting. It is really unreal! And I do appreciate and respect
everyone to have their own preferences.

And...I have a car, and if I had the zoning, I'd have a goat-cart too.
Would be great fun! :=)

I will be happy to send a free postpaid "sample" membrane micro box to
anyone who will send me their address (for the next 24 hours!) *

*(LEGAL DISCLAIMER:) Offer Expires: Tue. July 30 11:30 P.M. Offer refers to
one (only) #12, 38 x 38 x 18 mm membrane micro box (meteorite micro not
included). Offer not extended to anyone to whom I have already sold a
membrane box; one box per household. Relatives not eligible. If I am
swamped with more requests than I can reasonably handle, I reserve to (and
will) end the offer prematurely and without further notice, at my
discretion, by sending an e-mail to the "list". e-mails must be received by
the deadline at the e-mail address below. (Guess that covers it!) Or,
please go to the mb website and browse around!

Ron
R. N. Hartman
METEORITES and MEMBRANE SUSPENSION BOXES
rnh_at_meteorite1.com
www.meteorite1.com
order_at_membranebox.com
www.membranebox.com