[meteorite-list] A Late Entry for Meteorite Contest #5

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:11 2004

July 27, 2002

Greetings Meteorite(1) Enthusiasts!

When it comes to our space rock hobby, I have
certainly not skimped on books! As for not using the
"forbidden" word more than five times, I usually like
to avoid repeating the same term over and over anyway.

The following is my entry for Contest #5...

QUESTION #1... "What is the best meteorite(2) book
you have read?"

That is definitely a hard one. Every book purchase
about those once floating "mini worlds" has been an
awesome addition to my tiny private library. For some
strange reason though, every book seems to always give
some information absent from all the rest.

Nevertheless, the title that intrigued me the most
would have to be the illustrious Meteorites(3): Their
Impact On Science And History, edited by Brigitte
Zanda and Monica Rotaru. Why? I believe this book,
although containing familiar information to the
diehard enthusiast, is clear evidence for the
existence of a meteoritic renaissance and the dawning
of a new era in our day. The first literary climax in
our hobby obviously came when Rocks from Space came
onto the scene. It showed conclusively that such
rocks were no longer the prize of scientists alone,
but a pastime and hobby for everyone. Still, I can
see we have passed yet another milestone. Brigitte
Zanda and Monica Rotaru's book shows that space rocks
have become an art too, reflecting that hidden aura we
all know only too well, as shown by the book's many
exquisite photos and artistic presentations. It is
indeed a work of art!

QUESTION #2... "What is the meteorite(4) book you
would like to read?"

For a while the Catalog, published in 2000, was on top
of my want list. But that has since changed. Like
many enthusiasts who haven't already read it, my
interest has sparked concerning the famous title:
Find A Falling Star. One thing I always enjoy with
coin collecting is not just pretty pictures of toned
rarities in MS65, but coin hunts. To read about
others' finds is so exciting. I think my fellow
collectors of galactic stones can relate to this ---
the mystique about reading the adventures of others
and the spoils of their troubles --- or even if they
did end up empty-handed. From what I have gathered
about this book, I would not be disappointed,
especially when it is about such an interesting and
humble individual as Mr. Nininger, who lived far from
Easy Lane. While most of us know that space rocks are
no longer the collectibles of the elite, let us also
realize that neither is hunting for them! Many of the
Nininger adventures that I'm familiar with are no
doubt described in the book and can be done by you and
me! It is simply a great sounding book!

FINISH: "The book I would really like to see Richard
Norton write is..."

...a book discussing for the first time that I'm aware
of, as to the existence of meteor streams that are
made up of large bodies that can strike the earth's
surface. With the evidence that has mounted over the
years and with the starling "coincidence" that just
occurred this year concerning a possible Pribram
sister fall, it is high time for the matter to be
seriously looked into. As with many space rock
enthusiasts, it seems to come as a natural tendency to
think of the existence of "space boulder" streams.

Other meteoritic mysteries just begging for attention
and a place in such a breathtaking book is the hot and
cold space rock question, electrophonic sounds (which
have just been reopened as a mystery), Portales
Valley, the rainstorm/ meteor shower connection, and
many others.

Lastly, squeezing in detailed tips on hunting for
meteoritic stones not only in the deserts, but in
temperate regions as Michigan, would be awfully nice
too!

Long strewn fields!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA