[meteorite-list] Re: Ghostly Asteroids Clue To Missing Matter

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:09 2004

Hi Ron & All,
    As far as I can tell, then, this should be conclusive proof that the
event WAS a meteorite - specifically, a "common" chondrite - rite?
Is this, then, "accepted" as an established fact by the scientific branch
of the meteoritics community?
    Michael

on 7/23/02 8:37 AM, Ron Baalke at baalke_at_zagami.jpl.nasa.gov wrote:

>> Tunguska, Siberia was the site of a blast with the explosive
>> power of 1000 atomic bombs that flattened 2100 square kilometres
>> of forest in 1908. Scientists have blamed an asteroid, but
>> remarkably they have found no crater, no evidence of meteorite
>> fragments and no significant chemical traces.
>
> Fragments of the Tunguska blast have been recovered. Dust
> particles were found embedded in tree sap, and analysis
> of the particles showed they were stony chondrites.
>
> Ron Baalke

"Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."
-- Dan Quayle, 11/30/88
--
Worth Seeing:
-  Earth at night from satalite: