[meteorite-list] micrometeorites

From: James knudson <peregrineflier_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:09 2004

<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Hello List, I am new to the list and relatively new to the meteorite collecting thing! I know when I have found a possible meteorite, there is always great people out there willing to look at it, and give an opinion. Well I read an article on collecting micro meteorites.&nbsp; I thought my mother in-laws roof would be perfect for collecting micros.&nbsp; She has a large house that's about 40 years old and has a white pea-gravel roof.&nbsp; I figured it would act like a giant sluice box! <BR>So, I went up and dragged a magnet through the 1/2 inch deep gravel. I came up with some Interesting stuff, one in particular! It is about the&nbsp;shape of a&nbsp;piece of rice, a very small piece of rice, magnetic, black and under a 10&nbsp;X loop it is a dead ringer for an oriented Sikhote-Alin I bought on E-Bay! Can a micrometeorite be oriented? Is there Micro-collectors that would look at a possible Micro? I do not have a microscope so I can't do much more. I sure would like an expert's opinion on this lit
tle guy.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks , Tom<BR><BR>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>