[meteorite-list] METEORITE CONTEST #5 - FREE BOOKS!

From: Walter Branch <branchw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:09 2004

Hello Everyone,

I agree with Bob, Find and Falling Star is inspirational. To those new on
this list who haven't read it, you need to get a copy. Michael Blood used
to sell it. I am not sure if he has any more copies. I see Eric Twelker
(http://www.alaska.net/~meteor/)has some for sale for only $25.00. Mike
Martinez and Martin Horejsi also sell meteorite books. Maybe they have some
copies for sale.

Lets see, someone else also sells meteorite book from time-to-time. Oh,
yea - me! But I don't have any for sale so I don't count.

I think an underrated but really good (and cheap) meteorite book is Robert
Dodd's "Thunderstones and Shooting Stars: The Meaning of Meteorites" I
suppose I like so much because it was the first meteorite book I bought and
read. Before Norton, this book made me realize that a single meteorite
could have undergone igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary process. Written
in 1986, it is a bit dated but I find it easier to read than many parts of
the Cambridge Encyclopedia of Meteorites.

Someone else mentioned wishing for a collector oriented book. List member
Phil Bagnel has written "The meteorite and Tektite Collectors Handbook"
which I believe was the second book I read about meteorites. It's an easy
to read book that is very collector friendly. Maybe Phil has copies for
sale?

-Walter

Walter Branch, Ph.D.
Branch Meteorites