[meteorite-list] NAKHLA TODAY vol.3, #101

From: MARSROX_at_aol.com <MARSROX_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:50 2004

A grateful wag of the doggie tail to list members -
                                             *Philip R. Burns*
                                                       &
                                              *Alex Crutchfield*
for their great work yesterday in trying to track down the 1911 newspaper
sought by Mr. Baalke to "prove everything."

Philip, "Pib" as he's called by his friends, suggested looking at the
www.alahali.co site. Wow, it's like total Arab, man.

Meanwhile, taking a wild but calculated shot in the dark, Alex didn't let a
little weird script throw him off of his gameplan and emailed a request for
the story! There's $200 in my dog bowl for the reader who comes up with it
first.

A most honorable mention to CMcdon0923, affectionally called "oh-niner" by
his boss at the nuclear reactor facility, (and "Sweet-3" by his lovely wife,
Dolores) for gracefully allowing me to piggy-back onto his message yesterday
to make my point.

But today's feature is a Q&A between Ron and Kevin. We'll let Ron kick it off.

Ron: There was no fieldwork done at all by any qualified personnel
in-the-field at Denshal. None. So we don't know anything, because of all the
sloppy fieldwork. That's why there was some meteorites there, and smoke and
noise. But we don't know for sure because they didn't look hard enough. No
one ever looks hard enough. Luckily the farmer told us everything. Mohammed.
I think he was a part-time prophet. But we don't know that either, because
Hume never interviewed him.

Kevin: It says in the paperwork that Dr. Hume "instructed the local
authorities to give me every help in the investigation. It is a pleasure to
state here that the Sub-Mudir of the Beheira province, Mahmoud Bey
Qotri...not only carried out the letter of their instruction, but rendered
the most helpful personal assistance, THE SUB-MUDIR VISITING DENSHAL." Sorry,
Ron, we wish Nininger could've searched Denshal for you, but we did get a
sub-mudir going hut-to-hut looking for a meteorite. Since Hume says "he
carried out the letter of the instruction" it seems like he ably covered
Denshal, a very small village.

But there was more investigation according to the John Ball Ph.D, D.Sc.,
paper where he wrote "Later on, another fine fragment was collected by Mr.
Brigstock of the Ag Department." Denshal is on the rail line to the
strewnfield. If they're looking for more meteorites, and there's the farmer's
account of one in Denshal with a dog (!), wouldn't you think he'd get off and
look there? The guy was "qualified" enough to "collect another fine fragment"
somewhere else.

Then there's the visit by Dahab Hassan of the Geological Survey "sent to the
place in October and succeeded in purchasing no less than 20 more of the
stones, which in his opinion are all that were in the hands of the peasants
at the time." He would have passed through Denshal on the train from Cairo,
too. Wouldn't he check out Denshal? He collected 20 more fragments, does that
make him "qualified"?

Then there's the footnote on the Ball paper that reads "The newspaper account
gave the place of the fall as Denshal....careful inquiries at Denshal showed
that no meteorites had fallen there, nor had the smoke column been seen." It
doesn't say "sloopy, inefficient inquiries". So we've got multiple searches
by qualified people, not "no fieldwork" as you state over and over.

Ron: OK, OK. Maybe you're right, but I'll never admit it. But wait! Don't
forget that there was only a one sentence reply to the original query!

Kevin: And your point is.....

Ron: One sentence isn't long enough for anything.

Kevin: The telegram's one sentence reply from the same sub-mudir, that later
"followed Hume's instructions to the letter" was, "In reply to your telegram,
we inform you that some twenty days ago, at midday, the inhabitants of
Denshal Village heard an explosion resembling a clap of thunder, accompanied
by a small quaking in the atmosphere, but no stones fell, as was the case at
El Nakhla." Would you feel better, Ron, if he had broken the sentence into
smaller ones for you? Even in tiny sentences it still says that no stones
fell.

Ron: Are you always sarcastic?

Kevin: You make it so easy.

Ron: OK, wiseguy, what about this. The farmer saw a column and a terrific
noise and fragments burying themselves in the ground and a dog "left like
ashes in the moment."

Kevin: That's only one sentence, Ron. I thought one sentences didn't count.

Ron: See! See! The farmer saw the fall, the farmer saw the fall!

Kevin: Give me a break, nobody else did. Whadya think, everyone else in
Denshal is deaf, blind and dumb?

Ron: There was no follow-up interview of the farmer by Hume. So we'll never
know. No one qualified checked out Denshal. You lose.

Kevin: Wait a minute pal. I already explained about all of the people that
probably checked out Denshal. And forget Denshal, you're the one that has to
come up with a dead dog. You haven't mentioned anything about a dog in three
years!

WE INTERRUPT THIS DISCUSSION WITH A WORD FROM OUR SPONSER

Friends, wondering what the heck really happened a "hundred years ago" (years
courtesy Mike Farmer) in sunny pyramid-land? Need something to read while
waiting for "your medication to kick in"? (medication quote courtesy of
pharmaceutical resource person Mike Casper). Then we've got just the thing
for you! Send $5 to:
Kevin Kichinka
6747 Plantation Manor Loop
Fort Myers, Florida 33912
and receive your personal copy of "The First Meteorite Record of Egypt" by
Dr. Hume. Provided by the Smithsonian and dated 1911, this paper tells it
all. Make up your own mind! And act fast, because the first 10,000 responders
will also get "The Meteorite of El Nakhla El Baharia" by John Ball, Ph.D.
complete with maps of the strewnfield! A true collector's item. Act now!

Back to our interview:

Kevin: Show me the D-O-G.....DOG!

Ron: I can't.

Kevin: Show me the damn dog or admit that you ain't got one.

Ron: I can't.

Kevin: Show me the dog or back down, sucker.

Ron: I'm sure we'll learn about the dog when I get the newspaper.

Kevin: I don't want a dog that's gettin' paper-trained, I want a dead dog now.

Ron: I don't have one.

Kevin: Thank you, that wasn't so bad now, was it.