[meteorite-list] Meteor Crater Guide(?)

From: Dave Mouat <dmouat_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:47 2004

--------------797E09BC915FEDAC3D4C117C

With some trepidation I respond: "radioactive" is one of those words
that are difficult to accurately define; however the laws of physics
(sorry Michael B) state that all objects having temperatures above
absolute zero emit radiation at all wavelengths in the electromagnetic
spectrum. This is something that we teach in remote sensing 101 and
could be used to state that all meteorites are radioactive.
As one of the characters in Buckaroo Bonsai said at the end of the
movie:
"so what, big deal".
Dave

Impactika_at_aol.com wrote:

> Hello members,
>
> Since my e-mail is working again (thank you Ron and Ray for answering)
> let me try again to send the e-mail that got lost a couple days ago:
> __________________________________________________________________-
>

> Hello members,
>
> I spent this last weekend at a small local mineral show, selling a few
> meteorites, and answering a lot of questions.
>
> A gentleman came and told me this:
> He is a teacher and took his family to Meteor Crater last summer.
> There were quite a few visitors, and someone asked the guide on duty:
> " Are meteorites radioactive?" The guide answered without hesitation:
> " Yes, most of them are." Then someone else asked "How about the
> meteorites in the gift shop?" Again he answered "Most of those are
> radioactive too."
> This surprised him so he wanted to verify and asked me, and I did my
> best to explain that No! They are not radioactive! I think I
> convinced him.
>
> Now, I was wondering if some List-members who live in that area (Steve
> Schoner or Dave Andrews for instance) would be willing to go check
> this out. And maybe teach that guide a few meteoritical things.
>
> No wonder the public is so misinformed!!!!!
>
> Anne Black
> IMCA #2356
> www.IMPACTIKA.com
> e-mail: IMPACTIKA_at_aol.com

--------------797E09BC915FEDAC3D4C117C

With some trepidation I respond:&nbsp; "radioactive" is one of those words
that are difficult to accurately define; however the laws of physics (sorry
Michael B) state that all objects having temperatures above absolute zero
emit radiation at all wavelengths in the electromagnetic spectrum.&nbsp;
This is something that we teach in remote sensing 101 and could be used
to state that all meteorites are radioactive.
movie:
members,</font></font>
again (thank you Ron and Ray for answering) let me try again to send the
e-mail that got lost a couple days ago:</font></font>
at a small local mineral show, selling a few meteorites, and answering
a lot of questions.</font></font>
me this:</font></font>
his family to Meteor Crater last summer. There were quite a few visitors,
and someone asked the guide on duty:&nbsp; " Are meteorites radioactive?"&nbsp;
The guide answered without hesitation: " Yes, most of them are." Then someone
else asked "How about the meteorites in the gift shop?"&nbsp; Again he
answered "Most of those are radioactive too."</font></font>
wanted to verify and asked me, and I did my best to explain that No! They
are not radioactive!&nbsp;&nbsp; I think I convinced him.</font></font>
List-members who live in that area (Steve Schoner or Dave Andrews for instance)
would be willing to go check this out. And maybe teach that guide a few
meteoritical things.</font></font>
misinformed!!!!!</font></font>