[meteorite-list] Dean and Amen-Re (partly off-topic)

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:46 2004

dean bessey wrote:

> I have had several people ask me what my user id "amunre" means.
> Amunre was the ancient Egyptian sun God who created the universe.

Amun-Re or Amen-Re or Imn-Re was the highest god of Thebes
in Ancient Egypt. The word itself can be translated by "to hide"
- so he is the one who lives in hiding. Amen is said to have been
born in Hermopolis (near El Amarna - the place where Akhnaton
and his beautiful Neferti chose to reside) but later went to Thebes
where he became the dominant deity from the Eleventh Dynasty on.
>From the Twelfth Dynasty on, after both parts of Egypt had been
successfully reunited, he was called Amen-Re (the Sun God) because
he was now the omnipotent and omnipresent deity for all of Egypt.

2134-1991 => 11th dynasty
1991-1782 => 12th dynasty
1570-1293 => 18th dynasty (Akhnaton, King Tut, etc.)

As an aside - E.P. Grondine wrote:

> Sorry to hear about Darryl.

While I was sifting through my books on Ancient Egypt, I found
a "snail mail" letter from good old Darryl Futrell dated April 15th,
2000. He sent me some pictures of a stone with some hieroglyphics
that he had acquired and asked me to try and translate. I did as
best I could and his modest "thank you gift" was that 640-gram (!)
layered Muong Nong tektite that I mentioned in my obituary to him.

> The ancient Egyptians named their sun god after my ebay user id.

Oh, I see. The Ancient Egyptian history will have
to be rewritten in the light of these new insights :-)

Best wishes,

Bernd