AW: [meteorite-list] Opinion about strange me08

From: chris sharp <casper_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:45 2004

Hi all,

I'm no expert, that is for sure. What I can say is that I have have found
similar material in what they call "melon hole" country out near Miles in SE
Queensland.

One difference would be the colour. Mine was reddish brown hematite. Non
magnetic except for a section of "the crust" which is very magnetic. It was
located in a 3 sq metre area also. I had it looked at by Alan Rubin at UCLA
and you guessed it :- another meteorwrong.

My sample also had the smooth skin that may well be aeolian derived.

On first glance there appears to be little relationship between the
ventifact at AU referenced below (which is smooth and wind worn with no real
surface features) and the me08 we are talking about, other than the "smooth
skin".

The sandblasting effect would tend to wear away any surface features,
wouldn't it? What does a weathered and oxidised CK look like anyway? Any
photos anyone?

my humble $0.04 aussie cents worth

chris sharp