[meteorite-list] Two clarifications on prior post

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:41 2004

Hi Robert and all,

Someone was giving some statistics about a year or two back based on some logic of
meteorites hitting objects and assuming that if some many hit something like a mailbox
or car then we must have X amount of meteorites fall on the Earth at a given time. A
possible search in the archives or maybe someone will remember and bring up these
falls statistics so we can have them again.

Robert Dodd writes in his dated book (Thunderstones and Shooting Stars) that a
recoverable meteorite 1 gram in size and larger should strike the Earth 16 trillion
times each year! The larger the less often of course it will land in an area, while
there are probably very small meteorites here and there he states that 8 meteorites
per square mile. I once estimated using Dodd's information of flux that 1 gram
meteorite lands on a 75 acre field per year or something close to that. The main
trouble is finding them as a 1 gram stone on a 78 acre field is truly a needle in a
haystack.

Dodd provides these statistics on page 4 of his book. Best!

--AL