[meteorite-list] more putorana

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:10 2004

Without digging into this, I have a paper by Finn Ulff-Mo/ller, "Native
iron bearing intrusions of the Hammers Dal Complex, North-west
Disko," Rapp. Gro/nlands geol. Unders. 81, 15-33 (1977). He says:

"The main part of the native iron in the rocks of the Hammers Dal Complex
is roughly divided into two major types: iron which forms cumulates in the
marginal dolerite [diabase] and iron spherules in the intermediate rock
characterized by columnar jointing.
    "In the pipes and the dyke-like intrusions the Fe cumulates form zones
of sickle-shaped cross-section. These opaque minerals, which are embedded
in a doleritic matrix sparsely disseminated with troilite, makeup 15-25
percent by volume of a cumulative zone. Accessory constituents are
ilmenite, ulvo"spinel, pentlandite and a copper-iron sulfide of which the
latter two exolved from the troilite...
    "Based on the detailed survey of the intrusions it appears that the
amount of iron concentrated in the Fe cumulates relative to the volume of
the particular intrusion is fairly constant -- about 0.5 percent by volume
corresponding to 1.1-1.3 percent by weight."

So there are very metal-rich zones in some Disko rocks, although overall
they don't have too much metal.

Finn later states that Fe metal in the spherules in the intermediate rock
makes up 2 wt% of the rock. I think that this is the lithology that Matt
and I have both seen, which doesn't appear to have much metal.

jeff