[meteorite-list] magnetic or non magnetic?

From: Steve Witt <stelor96_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:06 2004

     Pierre,

   In an earlier e-mail I told you that the rare-earth magnets that I
have "stick" to my specimens of Allende. I wasn't speaking of crumbs,
I was talking about entire specimens, end pieces, slices. I also have
a "magnet on a string" that will stick and hold until the meteorite
is lifted to 45 degrees to perpendicular.

                             Steve

--- rochette <rochette_at_cerege.fr> wrote:

> >> Which meteorites would NOT be attracted to a magnet.
> >> Lunar and Mars meteorites to my knowledge anymore out their??
> >>

> >I don't know of any. Lunar and Mars meteorites are in fact
> attracted
> >to a strong magnet. Even the carbonaceous chondrites are
> attracted
> >to strong magnets.
> >
> >Ron Baalke
> >
> Dear list members
>
> we are discussing on a threshold; the answer is not yes or no, but
> more or
> less. Even air (due to the paramagnetism of oxygen) can be
> attracted with
> the proper magnet! I have hand permanent magnets that are able to
> lift a
> paramagnetic siilicate like olivine from the table.
>
> For meteorites with less than 1% of metal (like Allende,
> Howardite,LL,
> lunar...) if you have a strong magnet, and you take crumbles of the
> material on a sheet of paper, you are right Matteo, Ron and Steve,
> touching
> them with a magnet can move the crumbles, may be lift some of them.
> However
> the magnet does not stick to the bulk rock, like for L or H.
> On the other hand metal is heterogeneously distributed, so some
> fragments
> of the same howardite or LL can have several percent of metal so
> behave
> like a L. But again the bulk does not!
>
> Saying that the above experiment shows that these low metal
> meteorites are
> magnetic, results in saying that a lot of terrestrial rocks have
> the same
> behavior, thus rending the magnet proof pointless (again check with
> basalt or a Yosemite granite: it behaves like Allende).
>
> Thanks Steve Shoner for your support!
>
> Pierre

=====
Steve Witt