[meteorite-list] Photos of Meteorites

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:06 2004

--B_3096872164_242079

Hi Walter,

Good work. But since you asked, here are a couple of suggestions/opinions:

It appears that your camera=B9s depth of field was not deep enough to retain
the entire image thickness in focus. Notice the slight fuzziness on the lef=
side of the specimen. Were you using any telephoto aspects of your camera.
The more you zoom, the thinner the plane of focus.

The background is nice, but the harsh shadow parallel to the specimen=B9s
right edge is somewhat distracting. When there are near misses with lines
and intersections, the mind wonders if something else is going on. An old
saying is that the picture includes the frame.

The lighting is still a little harsh, especially on the steely edges of the
thumbprints. Maybe soften the photofloods through bounce and turn off the
on-camera flash.

Personally, I think the specimen looks a little better if you rotate it 135
degrees clockwise. Just my opinion.

Finally, the pink background does add highlight to some of the internal
regions of the thumbprints, but I think it actually accentuates the harsh
nature of the iron rather than softening it. But maybe that is your desired
effect?

Do you spend this amount of time taking pictures of your daughter? I go
through a couple of rolls and a few hundred digital shots a week on my
family, but I=B9m lucky to get a single scan or shot of a meteorite per week.

Nice job. Will we get to see more?

Cheers,

Martin

On 2/17/02 7:39 PM, "Walter Branch" <waltbranch_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
> =20
> I have started taking an interest in attempting "nice" photos of the
> meteorites in my collection and I was doing some experimenting yesterday =
with
> a 600+ gram sikhote-alin. Here is what I think is the best image:
> =20
> http://www.branchmeteorites.com/temp/DSCF00111.JPG
> =20
> Some on the list have done some amazing photography and I was wondering i=
> some of you photo experts would take a look and give me some advice on
> lighting, background, positioning, etc. For this image, I used the flash=
 on
> the digitial camera and two high intensity photofloods on either side of =
the
> specimen. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
> =20
> -Walter=20
> Walter Branch, Ph.D.
> Branch Meteorites
> 322 Stephenson Ave., Suite B
> Savannah, GA 31405 USA
> www.branchmeteorites.com <http://www.branchmeteorites.com>
>=20
>=20

--B_3096872164_242079

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [meteorite-list] Photos of Meteorites</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Hi Walter,<BR>
<BR>
Good work. But since you asked, here are a couple of suggestions/opinions:<=

<BR>
It appears that your camera&#8217;s depth of field was not deep enough to r=
etain the entire image thickness in focus. Notice the slight fuzziness on th=
e left side of the specimen. Were you using any telephoto aspects of your ca=
mera. The more you zoom, the thinner the plane of focus.<BR>
<BR>
The background is nice, but the harsh shadow parallel to the specimen&#8217=
;s right edge is somewhat distracting. When there are near misses with lines=
 and intersections, the mind wonders if something else is going on. An old s=
aying is that the picture includes the frame.<BR>
<BR>
The lighting is still a little harsh, especially on the steely edges of the=
 thumbprints. Maybe soften the photofloods through bounce and turn off the o=
n-camera flash.<BR>
<BR>
Personally, I think the specimen looks a little better if you rotate it 135=
 degrees clockwise. Just my opinion.<BR>
<BR>
Finally, the pink background does add highlight to some of the internal reg=
ions of the thumbprints, but I think it actually accentuates the harsh natur=
e of the iron rather than softening it. But maybe that is your desired effec=
t?<BR>
<BR>
Do you spend this amount of time taking pictures of your daughter? I go thr=
ough a couple of rolls and a few hundred digital shots a week on my family, =
but I&#8217;m lucky to get a single scan or shot of a meteorite per week.<BR=

<BR>
Nice job. Will we get to see more?<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
<BR>
Martin<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
On 2/17/02 7:39 PM, &quot;Walter Branch&quot; &lt;waltbranch_at_earthlink.net&=
gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Hello Everyone,<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">I have started taking an interest =
in attempting &quot;nice&quot; photos of the meteorites in my collection and=
 I was doing some experimenting yesterday with a 600+ gram sikhote-alin. &nb=
sp;Here is what I think is the best image:<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">http://www.branchmeteorites.com/te=
mp/DSCF00111.JPG<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Some on the list have done some am=
azing photography and I was wondering if some of you photo experts would tak=
e a look and give me some advice on lighting, background, positioning, etc. =
&nbsp;For this image, I used the flash on the digitial camera and two high i=
ntensity photofloods on either side of the specimen. &nbsp;Any helpful sugge=
stions would be appreciated. &nbsp;Thanks.<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">-Walter <BR>
-----------------------------------------------<BR>
Walter Branch, Ph.D.<BR>
Branch Meteorites<BR>
322 Stephenson Ave., Suite B<BR>
Savannah, GA &nbsp;31405 USA<BR>
www.branchmeteorites.com &lt;http://www.branchmeteorites.com&gt; <BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3096872164_242079--