[meteorite-list] polarising 'scopes

From: Alexander Seidel <ase_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:06 2004

Hi Dave,

a good start may be reading the several centerpiece articles by O. R.
Norton about this subject in the "METEORITE"-magazine from NZ (ed. Joel
Schiff), accompanied by excellent descriptive photos.

As I havenīt seen the printed copy that was introduced to some lucky
guys in Tucson, I am not sure about that, but my good guess is O. R.
Norton will certainly have added much more pictures and explanations in
his new book which is about to appear on the book market very soon. If
he still is a lurker on this list and reads this he may hopefully lift
a few secrets here.. :-)

I very much like the following book: "A Color Atlas of Rocks and
Minerals in Thin Section" by W. S. MacKenzie and A. E. Adams, John Wiley
& Sons, ISBN 1-874545-17-0 for the US paperback edition. This deals with
optical mineralogy of minerals, igneous rocks, sedimentary rocks and
metamorphic rocks, and shows many nice thin section photos.
Unfortunately meteorites are left out here as a specific topic. From an
Ebay auction a few months ago (wasnīt that by you, Michael Cottingham?)
I recall there is another good (and quite expensive) book on thin
sections, but unfortunately I have forgotten the title. I think
MacKenzie was also one of the authors of that one. A google or amazon
search might help.

Best regards,
Alex

--
 Alexander Seidel  | Home position on planet Earth: |