[meteorite-list] Export permits and African meteorites

From: Rhett Bourland <rbourlan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:59 2004

Weird. I can't speak for everyone's experience with Dr. McCoy but I've had
nothing but extremely pleasant interactions with him.
I can understand the governments reluctance to deal with dessert meteorites.
Let's face it, they're part of the government and have to follow all the
laws and regulations that go with that. I don't really see it as locations
vs. scientific value in this case. I'm sure quite a few scientists would
probally love to get their hands on some of the amazing NWA's out there but
due to the relations with some of the countries as well as lack of export
permits just aren't allowed to work with them.
As for myself, I love the desert rocks. I'd prefer to have a nice meteorite
with a known location and all that stuff if they're available but that
doesn't mean I don't love all my beautiful desert achondrites in my
collection that I got for a fraction of the price that they would be if they
had that known location.
Regards,
Rhett Bourland
www.asteroidmodels.com