[meteorite-list] Description of BL18

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:23 2004

Hello List, hi BL owners,

As I don't know who the respective owners of several of these
BL's are, I am sending my personal description of my 132-gram
specimen to the List and I hope it will be useful if you want to
compare it to your specimen(s). It does lack those large white
clasts that Hanno's pieces show. The matrix of BL18 looks more
like Steven Drummond's although some parts (the larger, light-
colored, angular clasts) of Steven's matrix closely resemble
Hanno's.Thank you Steve! Unfortunately, I don't have a digital
camera so I can't send you a high quality photo but I think my
description is a reasonable alternative.

Best wishes,

Bernd

Bessey's BL18 – 131 grams. Seller’s information: 41 meteorites
totaling 7.7 kg. The uncut specimen weighed 132 grams and has
both primary and secondary fusion crust. The cut endpiece weighs
21.6 grams. BL18 is brecciated with white, mostly rounded flecks
and several light-, medium, dark-gray angular clasts which gives
the surface a mottled appearance. Some thumbprints are present.
FeNi specks are evenly distributed throughout with one exception:
the large angular clast (dimensions ca. 7 x 7 mm, arrowed) is devoid
of any iron-nickel grains and shows several almost parallel, delicate
dark gray veinlets in an otherwise light gray featureless matrix. There
are numerous, polygonal contraction cracks in the smooth and medium
black, matte fusion crust. The crust, however, does have a slightly
polished appearance. The cut surfaces show rusty haloes on some metal
particles. A small area – approximately 1.8 x 1.2 mm in dimension
- where the fusion crust has been spalled off shows an extensive rust
stain. All corners on the specimen are smooth and rounded. The crust
has a thickness of about 0.1-0.2 mm. No chondrules were found.