[meteorite-list] Teenager Hit by 'Meteorite' Seeks Expert Opinion

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:23 2004

http://www.news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=5119998

Teenager Hit by 'Meteorite' Seeks Expert Opinion
By Lia Hervey, PA News
August 27, 2002

A teenager today told how she was struck by a possible meteorite
as she was waiting outside her family home.

Siobhan Cowton from Northallerton, North Yorkshire, was about to
get into her family car at 10.30am on Thursday last week when
something fell out of the sky and hit her on her foot.

At first the 14-year-old thought the odd looking stone had been
thrown at her by a child, but then she looked closer and realised
it was not your average garden gravel.

"I looked at it again and it had a black and grey colour with a
shiny bubble surface," she said.

The stone also felt hot as the teenager picked it up.

After closer inspection by her father Niel, and comparison with
pictures on the Internet, Siobhan has decided to get the stone
checked by scientists and plans to take it to Durham University.

If it is a piece of rock from outer space, Siobhan says she will
consider putting it up for auction.

On the other hand, she might keep it.

"If it isn't worth anything then I suppose I will keep it myself
for sentimental value. It is not every day that you are hit by
a meteorite," she said.