[meteorite-list] Of interest

From: FERNLEA4_at_aol.com <FERNLEA4_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:23 2004

--part1_41.22603fc6.2a9ce071_boundary

magellon_at_earthlink.net writes:

> Why do the 'experts' say these things to the press? How about "it is more
> likely to have been thrown by a boy from the other side of the building?"
> Perhaps it is real, but I think not! Remember the lady who 'found' ( the
> bolide so many saw) in her garden? Not a meteorite!

We get 2 or 3 of these kind of meteorite stories in the British press each
year. The newspapers like to sensationalise the story and astound their
readers with "facts" that might only really be heresay, guesses or just slim
possibilities at the time it's reported. The funny thing is, there are
rarely/never follow-up articles, saying that little Jimmy's space rock was
actually just a piece of roofing tile that got blown off the top of a nearby
house, just as he happened to be walking underneath it.
I guess follow-ups like that don't sell many papers!

I remember reading a story that appeared in all of the British national
newspapers about 3 years ago, where a guy had found a "meteorite" while out
walking his dog. I spoke with him on the phone and he told me that he was a
physicist, and tests in the lab (his own tests, in his own lab) showed that
the "meteorite" had huge chunks of diamond inside the stone, some approaching
1cm in size. He'd never seen a meteorite before but that didn't matter, so he
called all the newspapers. They believed him because of his credentials, and
before we knew what was happening, it was declared in the press as a new
meteorite....no doubt about it whatsoever!
Needless to say, it wasn't.

Rob.
www.meteorites.uk.com
Fernlea Meteorites,
The Wynd,
Off Dickson Lane,
Milton of Balgonie,
Fife. KY7 6PY
United Kingdom
Tel: +44-(0)1592-751563
Fax: +44-(0)1592-751991
Mobile: 07909-773929
Email: fernlea4_at_aol.com

--part1_41.22603fc6.2a9ce071_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 27/08/02 14:30:56 GMT Daylight Time, magellon_at_earthlink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Why do the 'experts' say these things to the press? How about "it is more likely to have been thrown by a boy from the other side of the building?" <BR>
Perhaps it is real,&nbsp; but I think not! Remember the lady who 'found' ( the bolide so many saw) in her garden?&nbsp; Not a meteorite!</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
We get 2 or 3 of these kind of meteorite stories in the British press each year. The newspapers like to sensationalise the story and astound their readers with "facts" that might only really be heresay, guesses or just slim possibilities at the time it's reported. The funny thing is, there are rarely/never follow-up articles, saying that little Jimmy's space rock was actually just a piece of roofing tile that got blown off the top of a nearby house, just as he happened to be walking underneath it.<BR>
I guess follow-ups like that don't sell many papers!<BR>
<BR>
I remember reading a story that appeared in all of the British national newspapers about 3 years ago, where a guy had found a "meteorite" while out walking his dog. I spoke with him on the phone and he told me that he was a physicist, and tests in the lab (his own tests, in his own lab) showed that the "meteorite" had huge chunks of diamond inside the stone, some approaching 1cm in size. He'd never seen a meteorite before but that didn't matter, so he called all the newspapers. They believed him because of his credentials, and before we knew what was happening, it was declared in the press as a new meteorite....no doubt about it whatsoever!<BR>
Needless to say, it wasn't.<BR>
<BR>
Rob.<BR>
www.meteorites.uk.com<BR>
Fernlea Meteorites,<BR>
The Wynd,<BR>
Off Dickson Lane,<BR>
Milton of Balgonie,<BR>
Fife. KY7 6PY<BR>
United Kingdom<BR>
Tel: +44-(0)1592-751563<BR>
Fax: +44-(0)1592-751991<BR>
Mobile: 07909-773929<BR>
Email: fernlea4_at_aol.com</FONT></HTML>

--part1_41.22603fc6.2a9ce071_boundary--