[meteorite-list] NWA BIG QUESTION

From: impactearth_at_space.com <impactearth_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:20 2004

Another quick point. Yes, you are right, there are
many nomads, but I would say there AREN'T that many
nomads hunting and picking up meteorites. I would say
that every NWA being picked up right now is by a full
time meteorite hunting Nomad who SHOULD know how to use
a map and a GPS.

On Fri, 23 August 2002, drtanuki wrote:

> Dear Ray,
> There are 1) many nomads 2) no nomad trusts
another,
> 3) batteries(expensive) and technology(dangerous if in
> the wrong area of the Sahara..ie.border
> areas) are easy to sell for money, 4) they cannot see
> any personal gain from it since others will have their
> location, 5), and 6) they nomads may be the
> source of the meteorites; but they are basically not
> the ones selling them to the foreign buyers. I tried
> to leave my GPS with a &quot;nomad&quot; basically
seller
> and he didn't want to bother to learn to use it.
> Cultures are different and persons different. Go to
> the Sahara and then you can understand more clearly
> what I am saying.
> Your solution is perfectly logical; but maybe
> impossible. Dirk...Tokyo
>
> impactearth_at_space.com wrote:
>
> &gt; Perhaps Dean could call up the Nomads on their
cell
> &gt; phones, provided they are currently wondering
the area
> &gt; of the desert with cell phone reception, and ask
them
> &gt; to start documenting the finds. WHY HASN'T THIS
> &gt; HAPPENED? Maybe ship them a GPS unit and some
graph
> &gt; paper to map out the strewn field? I mean, in
this
> day
> &gt; and age of communication, the only reason the
&quot;nomads&quot;
> &gt; aren't doing this is for 2 reasons. 1 being
they are
> &gt; too lazy, 2 being, no one has asked them to.
Think of
> &gt; the what could happen, the next NWA's to be found
> could
> &gt; acutally be documented, knowing the TKW,
location,
> etc.
> &gt; Why isn't this happening? Everyone, collectors,
> &gt; dealers, NOMAD'S, could be making more money.
> &gt;
> &gt; Ray
> &gt;
> &gt; On Fri, 23 August 2002, drtanuki wrote:
> &gt;
> &gt; &gt;
> &gt; &gt; Dear List Members;
> &gt; &gt; A meteorite cannot be paired unless
analysis is
> &gt; done
> &gt; &gt; to prove so. A
> &gt; &gt; practice that is common in the market is to
classify
> &gt; &gt; one stone
> &gt; &gt; (sometimes more) and call the remainder the
same.
> The
> &gt; &gt; fact that they
> &gt; &gt; are &amp;quot;called&amp;quot; the same
does not prove that
> &gt; they are the
> &gt; &gt; same type of
> &gt; &gt; meteorite or even paired. Dean's NWAs all
look
> &gt; similar
> &gt; &gt; due to the local
> &gt; &gt; environment that they were found (probably
within
> the
> &gt; &gt; same region of the
> &gt; &gt; Sahara).
> &gt; &gt; Desert varnish or sand erosion covers
most of
> the
> &gt; &gt; meteorites and
> &gt; &gt; rocks in the Sahara and other deserts.
Desert
> varnish
> &gt; &gt; is characteristic
> &gt; &gt; in colour or texture depending on the local
> &gt; &gt; environment; and even the
> &gt; &gt; terrestrial rocks look similar in
appearance.
> &gt; &gt; I hope this answers some of the
questions that I
href="http://mail.space.com//jump/http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list&quot;&gt;http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list&lt;/a&gt">http://mail.space.com//jump/http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list&quot;&gt;http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list&lt;/a&gt</a>;

href="http://mail.space.com//jump/http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list">http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list</a>