[meteorite-list] Sahara sand

From: Dave Mouat <dmouat_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:06 2004

--------------C1244F4126E46A393F17D99D

I hope this finds the sender.
Much of the world's sandy deserts are reddish. Usually, the redder
sands indicate somewhat older dunes. The dunes of Namibia may be over
20 million years old. Whoops, off the subject.
The redness does imply iron staining with the total iron content less
than 1%. Little black specks are most likely magnetite but could be
micro meteorites.
The rest of the material (yawn) is most likely quartz.
Dave

MuseumStore/NatureSource wrote:

> (I tried to post this yesterday, but didn't see it come up. Sorry if
> it's a repeat!) Hi List!
> Can anyone tell me anything about the general composition of Sahara
> Desert sand? I have a couple vials that I've been looking at on my
> lunch break. Just out of curiosity, I held a Nd magnet against the
> glass of the vial and several little black specks jumped up on to the
> magnet. I looked at them under a binocular microscope. I couldn't
> rule them in or out as little micrometeorites. The orange color of the
> sand leads me to believe that iron may be a factor in the sand's
> coloration and composition, and that these specks may just be ferrous
> minerals and nothing to get too excited about. Has anyone come across
> this? Does anyone have any
> information/thoughts/comments? Regards,Jeanne DevonIMCA
> #9236www.thenaturesource.comThe Museum Store/The Nature Source

--------------C1244F4126E46A393F17D99D

I hope this finds the sender.
sands indicate somewhat older dunes.&nbsp; The dunes of Namibia may be
over 20 million years old.&nbsp; Whoops, off the subject.
than 1%.&nbsp; Little black specks are most likely magnetite but could
be micro meteorites.
to post this yesterday, but didn't see it come up.&nbsp; Sorry if it's
about the general composition of Sahara Desert sand?&nbsp; I have a couple
vials that I've been looking at on my lunch break.&nbsp; Just out of curiosity,
I held a Nd magnet against the glass of the vial and several little black
specks jumped up on to the magnet.&nbsp; I looked at them under a binocular