[meteorite-list] Lingams...impactite related?

From: Philip R. Burns <pib_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:49:03 2004

At 03:15 PM 9/29/01 -0500, you wrote:
>"No one is quite sure what lingams are. They come from the Narmada River
>in India, high in the Amandhata Mountains. It has been theorized that they
>were formed from a meteorite that landed in the river bed millions of
>years ago. Most often, they are a combination of chalcedony, agate and
>quartize. They are disquished by deep red/maroon iron oxide markings."
>
>Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any information on Lingams. You
>have probley seen them on eBay for one seller who must have a ton of them
>as he keeps listing them. His description is above. Does anyone know if
>these are in fact meteorite related?

Some lingams are reputed to have a meteoritic origin. An example is the
lingam bearing a carved statue of Lord Lakulish in the Kayavarohan
temple. I don't know if anyone has actually tested that lingam to
determine if it is formed from a meteorite. Most lingams are probably
composed of sandstone or other common materials and not meteorites.

-- Philip R. "Pib" Burns
    pib_at_pibburns.com
    http://www.pibburns.com/