[meteorite-list] Silica Gel Drying

From: John Gwilliam <jkgdiver_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:49:01 2004

Michael and List,
You can restore silica gel in with the following steps.

1. Remove the silica gel from the packages and place it in thin layer in a
shallow, uncovered pyrex dish.

2. Place the dish in a vented oven set on 200F.

3. After 30 minutes, stir the silica gel and spread out evenly again.

4. Bake for an additional 30 minutes.

5. Allow to cool in a dry area before reusing.

I use the feet of old nylon stocking to hold the desiccant for re
use. Simply place the required amount in the toe of the stocking, twist
the other end, fold it over, and hold it closed with a rubber band.

It's a good idea to use a humidity indicating card in your airtight storage
container to let you know when the gel has absorbed all the moisture it
can. When the appropriate dot turns pink, repeat the above process.

Hope this helps.

John Gwilliam