[meteorite-list] The Tale of The Fire Ant (sort of an analogy....)

From: CMcdon0923_at_aol.com <CMcdon0923_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:49:00 2004

--part1_150.1030ec0.28d44571_boundary

As is my regular routine on Friday evenings this time of year, I donned my=20
rattiest pair of shorts, a similarly tattered shirt, an old pair of sneakers=
,=20
and went out to mow my yard. About 15 minutes into my chore, as I was=20
walking along behind the mower, minding my own business, agonizing over the=20
tragic events of this week, I suddenly felt a sharp stinging sensation on m=
y=20
leg. I looked down to see a small creature, a fire-ant, clinging to the ski=
n=20
of my shin.

Now for those of you unfamiliar with fire-ants, as I was before moving to=20
Texas, let me give you a little background information. Fire-ants are God'=
s=20
way of saying that size does not matter. Under the right conditions, a=20
strategically placed fire-ant sting can bring a tear to your eye. And even=20
if not, within the next few days, I will probably develop a dime-sized oozin=
g=20
pustule on my leg, the result of its venom. All this from a tiny ant. But=20=
I=20
digress=E2=80=A6back to my story.

Upon noticing the ant clinging to me, did I stop and ask him, "Little ant,=20
why have you stung me? For I have allowed you to live in my land, and to=20
partake of all the bounty that is therein. I must understand your reasons=20
for this act." No, I reached down and killed him. And did I strike him wit=
h=20
only enough force to kill him? No=E2=80=A6.I swatted the little bastard har=
d enough=20
to kill a small mammal.=20

Then I noticed several more fire-ants, actively scurrying around on my=20
sneaker and crawling upon my sock, attempting to reach bare flesh where they=
=20
too would undoubtedly inflict their painful stings upon me. Did I stop and=20
ask them, "Little ants, why do you also seek to harm me as did your brother?=
 =20
I have allowed all of you to live in my kingdom and partake of all its=20
bounty. I must understand your reasons for this act." No=E2=80=A6I killed=20=
every one=20
of them also.

And did I choose to ignore the fact that undoubtedly there was nearby, withi=
n=20
my kingdom, a mound of fire-ants, all capable of inflicting their pain and=20
suffering upon not only me, but anyone who might happen to venture too close=
=20
to them? No, I sought out their mound, and once located, I sprinkled upon=20
them granules of death (a.k.a. Diazanon), so that none of them would ever=20
inflict pain and suffering upon anyone again. And for the remainder of my=20
task of cutting my yard, as I came across other fire-ant mounds, similarly,=20=
I=20
sprinkled upon them all, the Diazanon granules of death.

But did I then run beyond the boundaries and borders of my kingdom to kill=20
all the fire-ants that might dwell in the kingdoms controlled by my=20
neighbors? Certainly not, for any fire-ants that may dwell upon their lands=
=20
do not threaten me. However, if any of the ants that dwell in the lands of=20
my neighbors ever invade my kingdom in order to inflict their pain and=20
suffering upon me or anyone who I invite to dwell in or partake of my land,=20=
I=20
will certainly rain the Diazanon granules of death upon them too.

Now does this mean that I hate all species of ants? Certainly not. I'm=20
actually one of those people who will go out of his way to avoid stepping on=
=20
an ant if I come across one as I walk. Ants are God's creatures too, and=20
they serve a valuable purpose in nature. (Although for the life of me I=20
can't figure out what He had in mind when He created fire-ants=E2=80=A6.or t=
he=20
mosquito for that matter. Mental note to self: Ask Him some time.) =20

So why do I hate the lowly fire-ant? I hate them because they have on=20
numerous occasions, inflicted their pain upon me, and those about whom I=20
care. Do I believe for one moment that by killing those ants tonight, I hav=
e=20
forever rid my kingdom of fire-ants? Certainly not, for I know that as sure=
=20
as I eliminated the ants who attacked me tonight, other fire-ants are at thi=
s=20
very moment, invading my land and will build their mounds therein. And what=
=20
to do about this unending threat? =20

Let's just say I keep a very large bag of Diazanon in my garage.

--part1_150.1030ec0.28d44571_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2>As is my regular routine=20=
on Friday evenings this time of year, I donned my rattiest pair of shorts, a=
 similarly tattered shirt, an old pair of sneakers, and went out to mow my y=
ard. &nbsp;About 15 minutes into my chore, as I was walking along behind the=
 mower, minding my own business, agonizing over the tragic events of this we=
ek, &nbsp;I suddenly felt a sharp stinging sensation on my leg. &nbsp;I look=
ed down to see a small creature, a fire-ant, clinging to the skin of my shin=
.
<BR>
<BR>Now for those of you unfamiliar with fire-ants, as I was before moving t=
o Texas, let me give you a little background &nbsp;information. &nbsp;Fire-a=
nts are God's way of saying that size does not matter. &nbsp;Under the right=
 conditions, a strategically placed fire-ant sting can bring a tear to your=20=
eye. &nbsp;And even if not, within the next few days, I will probably develo=
p a dime-sized oozing pustule on my leg, the result of its venom. &nbsp;All=20=
this from a tiny ant. &nbsp;But I digress=E2=80=A6back to my story.
<BR>
<BR>Upon noticing the ant clinging to me, did I stop and ask him, &nbsp;"Lit=
tle ant, why have you stung me? &nbsp;For I have allowed you to live in my l=
and, and to partake of all the bounty that is therein. &nbsp;I must understa=
nd your reasons for this act." &nbsp;No, I reached down and killed him. &nbs=
p;And did I strike him with only enough force to kill him? &nbsp;No=E2=80=
=A6.I swatted the little bastard hard enough to kill a small mammal.=20
<BR>
<BR>Then I noticed several more fire-ants, actively scurrying around on my s=
neaker and crawling upon my sock, attempting to reach bare flesh where they=20=
too would undoubtedly inflict their painful stings upon me. &nbsp;Did I stop=
 and ask them, "Little ants, why do you also seek to harm me as did your bro=
ther? &nbsp;I have allowed all of you to live in my kingdom and partake of a=
ll its bounty. &nbsp;I must understand your reasons for this act." &nbsp;No=
=E2=80=A6I killed every one of them also.
<BR>
<BR>And did I choose to ignore the fact that undoubtedly there was nearby, w=
ithin my kingdom, a mound of fire-ants, all capable of inflicting their pain=
 and suffering upon not only me, but anyone who might happen to venture too=20=
close to them? &nbsp;No, I sought out their mound, and once located, I sprin=
kled upon them granules of death (a.k.a. Diazanon), so that none of them wou=
ld ever inflict pain and suffering upon anyone again. &nbsp;And for the rema=
inder of my task of cutting my yard, as I came across other fire-ant mounds,=
 similarly, I sprinkled upon them all, the Diazanon granules of death.
<BR>
<BR>But did I then run beyond the boundaries and borders of my kingdom to ki=
ll all the fire-ants that might dwell in the kingdoms controlled by my neigh=
bors? &nbsp;Certainly not, for any fire-ants that may dwell upon their lands=
 do not threaten me. &nbsp;However, if any of the ants that dwell in the lan=
ds of my neighbors ever invade my kingdom in order to inflict their pain and=
 suffering upon me or anyone who I invite to dwell in or partake of my land,=
 I will certainly rain the Diazanon granules of death upon them too.
<BR>
<BR>Now does this mean that I hate all species of ants? &nbsp;Certainly not.=
 &nbsp;I'm actually one of those people who will go out of his way to avoid=20=
stepping on an ant if I come across one as I walk. &nbsp;Ants are God's crea=
tures too, and they serve a valuable purpose in nature. &nbsp;(Although for=20=
the life of me I can't figure out what He had in mind when He created fire-a=
nts=E2=80=A6.or the mosquito for that matter. &nbsp;Mental note to self: &nb=
sp;Ask Him some time.) &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>So why do I hate the lowly fire-ant? &nbsp;I hate them because they have=
 on numerous occasions, inflicted their pain upon me, and those about whom I=
 care. &nbsp;Do I believe for one moment that by killing those ants tonight,=
 I have forever rid my kingdom of fire-ants? &nbsp;Certainly not, for I know=
 that as sure as I eliminated the ants who attacked me tonight, other fire-a=
nts are at this very moment, invading my land and will build their mounds th=
erein. &nbsp;And what to do about this unending threat? &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>Let's just say I keep a very large bag of Diazanon in my garage.
<BR></FONT></HTML>

--part1_150.1030ec0.28d44571_boundary--