[meteorite-list] Moving to Manson Crater?

From: geoking_at_notkin.net <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:57 2004

Dear Listees:

Considering a visit to the Manson Crater, and adding to that
ever-growing impactite collection? Yes? Well . . . I have discovered
the perfect vehicle in which to cart all the heavy equipment you'll
need to shift that annoying glacial till:

http://www.notkin.net/manson.htm

Story behind the photos: In late spring this year I was out west with
the NJ Paleo Society, and while endlessly loading or unloading our
trucks in a car park somewhere (Dakotas? Missouri? Indiana? Can't
remember) we noticed this amazing painting on the side of a Uhaul
van. Uhaul, you see, commissioned a load of truck murals called
"Venture Across America," and #97 in the series (Collect the Whole
Set!) is a rather spectacular artist's interpretation of hefty space
rocks pummeling prehistoric Iowa. The more I look at this, the more I
think it would make a perfect mural in my office (no disrespect to
the state of Iowa). I took some photos, figuring it was too weird and
wonderful a thing not to share with the M-List.

How could anyone resist a subhead like this (it's painted on the
truck): "METEOR EVIDENCE CONCEALED BENEATH MANSON"

And . . .

"Did you know . . . A crater 2+ miles in diameter lies hidden by
glacial sediment under crop fields, centered in Pocahontas County.
What effects did the impact of an enormous meteor have on Iowa? Learn
more about the Manson Impact Crater at . . . www.uhaul.com"

This is not meant to be an endorsement of Uhaul : ) but I have to
say that the Manson painting is a superb graphic, and the whole truck
illustration project is not a bad idea.

And for those of you who share my interest in paleontology as well as
meteoritics, the entire story of the NJ Paleo expedition (and it was
quite an adventure), can be found here: http://www.paleozoic.org
[click on "EXPEDITIONS"]

Regards to all,

Geoff N.