[meteorite-list] Turkish meteorites

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:55 2004

Hi All,

I'll soon be visiting Turkey for a couple weeks, so I thought
I'd take a look at what the Catalogue of Meteorites had listed
for the country. I'll have to admit that what I discovered
seems awfully unusual. The country has 10 meteorites associated
with it (pretty low for a country of its size and population),
but more amazing is that 9 of them are falls! But wait -- there's
more. The only "find" is an achondrite (eucrite) called Adalia,
found in 1883 with no mass listed.

Of the 9 falls, 3 are irons, all different types (IVA, IIIAB,
IIICD), 3 are L6's, and there's an L5 and an LL6. One of the
falls, Ibrisim (1949), is classified only as a chondrite, with
the mention of an "unsatisfactory analysis".

Does any other country have such a skewed ratio of falls to finds?
I hope to have some time to do a little looking while I'm there,
since I'll have a rental car. I'm also planning to take a
meteorite or two along with me to show to vendors in the bazaars,
just in case they have any. I wonder what Turkey's customs export
rules are?

Best,
Rob