[meteorite-list] Telescope

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:11 2004

David wrote:

> I've finally decided to break down and buy a telescope to see where all
> these wonderful meteorites come from. I've found what looks like a great deal
> on a Meade ETX-60AT telescope with their Autostar tracking system. Does anyone
> know anything about this telescope?

Hi All!

The very first thing you should do before buying any kind of scope is:

1. attend several public s t a r p a r t i e s,
2. look through different scopes at different
    magnifications and with different eyepieces
3. ask the "experts" - their advice will be crucial
4. look for stability and quality optics (several department
    store scopes ar a shaky affair - result: "dancing" images)
5. Be sure your scope is the right one for your local skies.*

* A 14-inch scope won't yield better results than an 8-inch scope at a
given magnification under a light-polluted (sub-)urben sky - on the
contrary: the 14" scope will more effectively enhance turbulences
because of its larger light gathering factor.

Best wishes,

Bernd