[meteorite-list] Leonids from Duluth, MN

From: Bob King <lakewind_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:12 2004

A spectacular show! At peak from 4-5 a.m. we saw about 4-5
meteors a minute. No matter what direction you looked you could
always count on a Leonid to spark within a second or two.The best
were the fireballs, some of which left trains that lasted over five
minutes. These trains were fascinating to watch in binoculars as
they evolved into eerie, coiled shapes. Ah, the meteorite dust!
You just couldn't cover all that was going on. We'd be watching one
direction and a fireball would silently explode from behind and
illuminate the ground in front of you. Best of all was sharing it with
my family. Got the kids up and put 'em on and under a stack of
blankets on the driveway. It was my 8-year-old's first shower and
so much fun to hear her 'ooohs' and excited words. For me it was a
dream come true. Back in 1966 I was a disappointed kid staring
out a window at an overcast sky on November 17. This morning I'm
a bleary-eyed adult with a huge smile in his heart.
Bob King