[meteorite-list] Leonids from Ohio

From: Bob Martino <martino.6_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:12 2004

All,

In Columbus (central Ohio) the staff & volunteers of Perkins Observatory
(where I am Assistant Director, thank you very much) all trucked out to a
nearby dam after giving our regular public program. Some time was spent at
first covering a night light with a rug (with permission of the county
parks & recreation folks).

We conducted three (very unscientific) counts.

1:30 - 2:30 AM 160 Leonids
3:30 - 4:30 AM 340 Leonids under increasingly foggy conditions, leading up to
                    almost total fog cover at 4:30.

We relocated back to the observatory (which we had fled at midnight in the
hopes of avoiding the 50,000,000 members of the public who we knew would be
driving up at all hours of the night, blinding us with their headlights and
demanding that we give them a free show).

5:00 - 5:30 AM 500 Leonids from light-polluted and slightly foggy skys!

Now, all I need to see is a total solar eclipse and a naked-eye supernova.
Then I can die peacefully. :)

Bob Martino Can you really name a star?
                                        http://home.columbus.rr.com/starfaq/
"This is how men behave when they
 believe they have absolute knowledge."
               -Jacob Bronowski (speaking from the ashes of Auschwitz)