[meteorite-list] Fossils and Public Lands (10-23-01)

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:10 2004

Pardon my additional post....
Dear Readers...

I can lead you to hundreds of places where there are turtles and eocene
mammal bones erroding from the ground around here. I can show you
dinosaur bones by the ton in Utah. Once these "vertibrate-banned for
public collecting on public land "scientific value" ...and currently
protected bone"s errode to the surface where the amateur can find them,
they are erroded into a zillion pieces and basically have no scientific
use. To get the scientific out of these bones, one has to basically dig
them before they errode to the surface and become exposed to the elements.
Now, a back hoe and a dozer on private land is another story.... The
parallel with Meteorites is the same basically. I have found some very
old rusty shales that may have been meteoritic at one time...
but, maybe not...
Non-hoe,
Dave F.