[meteorite-list] Vesta - the source of HED meteorites

From: Jim Hurley <hurley_j_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:09 2004

> Which reminds me of our old-time list member Jim Hurley.
> Jim, are you still around? Jim "created" a wonderful pic
> representing Vesta - a true artistic rendition with a
> genuine scientific (meteoritic) background. I won't tell
> you more. Jim ????
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Bernd

Hello Bernd, et al,

Yes, I still lurk.

I have become a starving artist, so I no longer can afford my
web sites, let alone meteorites. However, I have re-posted the
old web page at this

This is a digital composite of a cross-sectional view of Vesta.
The shape of the asteroid was copied, although I took a few
liberties for drama, and filled with samples from my collection:
Ibitira (for the lava tubes), Kapoeta for the surface regolith,
Millbillillie for the next layer, then Johnstown. At the center
is Esquel, then Gibeon at the core.

The crater at the pole of Vesta appears along with a shocked zone
underneath the crater floor.

There is a link on that page to Dave Weir's excellent description
of what we know of Vesta.

If you want to see some of my other art, here is my latest drawing -
for my Life Drawing class mid-term this week:
We had to draw in the style of a living artist - I chose Boris Vallejo,
a well-known fantasy artist. It is 18x24 inches, in charcoal.

 - Jim Hurley