[meteorite-list] Toronto Fireball Error! Was Seen in Fremont MI

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:05 2004

November 4, 2001

Greetings Meteorite and Meteor Enthusiasts!

I am the person who had reported a fireball seen at
Toronto, Canada, on 10-17-2001, at around 10:30 P.M.
EDT. Sadly, I must say it is in error. It was "NOT"
seen at Toronto. Rather, this bright fireball was
observed in Newaygo County, MI, in Fremont. Sorry for
any needless confusion it may have generated. The
original NAMN fireball report is at the bottom of this

e-mail.

While I am here writing this, I suppose it may be wise
to report the event over in perhaps more detail and
refresh some of the figures. Again, the true observer
of this event was my brother Dan, not myself (I
probably missed the fireball by a nigh half hour or
so). Also, keep in mind that the listed data is still
rough and a bit sketchy. Feel free to ask any
questions.

LOCATION: Fremont, Newaygo County, MI USA

DATE AND TIME: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 at around
10:30 P.M. EDT

OBSERVER: Daniel Craver

APPARENT MAGNITUDE: as bright or somewhere nearly as
bright as the full moon (around -10 Mag.)

TOTAL DURATION: at least 3 sec., maybe more

COLOR: Blue/White

SOUND: not observed

APPARENT DIRECTION OF PATH: N-S (in the eastern sky)

LENGTH OF PATH: unknown (the length the observer
saw was roughly in the range of 30 deg.)

HEIGHT ABOVE HORIZON WHEN FIRST SEEN: around 20
deg.(?)

HEIGHT ABOVE HORIZON WHEN LAST SEEN: about 5 deg.
less than the preceding figure (the fireball was lost
in the tree line)

SPEED (using a 1 to 5 scale, 1 being
VERY slow, and 5 being extremely quick.): 2-3

PERSISTENT TRAIN: not observed

DUST TRAIL: not observed

FRAGMENTATION: not observed

My e-mail is unclefireballmtf_at_yahoo.com.

Long strewn fields and noisy fireballs!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA

-------------I previously
reported:--------------------
----
Your Name? Mark Fox
Your Town/State/Country? Newaygo, MI USA
Date and Time? 10-17-2001 at around 10:30 PM
What compass direction did the fireball appear from?
North
What compass direction did the fireball DISAPPEAR
from? South
How long, in seconds, were you able to see it in the
sky? 3+
How many degrees off the horizon was it when it
APPEARED?
(As a reference, a closed fist held at arm's length is
approximately 10 degrees.)
  30?
How many degrees off the horizon was it when it
DISAPPEARED? 25?
How bright did it appear?
Like a star, Venus, the Moon, or the setting Sun?
  The Moon
Did it have any color(s)? Blue/White
Did it appear to fall apart as it went by? What did
that look like?
  NONE
Did it leave a persistent streak in the sky after it
was gone?
How long did that last?
  NONE
How fast did it move? Use a 1 to 5 scale, 1 being
VERY slow, and 5 being extremely quick.
  3
Did you hear a sound?
If yes, what was the time delay from sighting to
sound?
  NONE
What is the closest Town/State to where you saw the
fireball?
  Toronto?
Please put any additional remarks, sketches, drawings,
etc. below:
  November 3, 2001
Dear Sirs:
Please excuse the rough information.  This is the
first time I ever used a form to report a fireball
sighting.
The true observer of this bright fireball is my
brother Dan who added that this was the brightest
meteor he recalled seeing.  He was at work
milking cows at the time and thus wasn't meteor
hunting.  According to him, the fireball was
seen in the eastern sky.
I may be able to spruce up some of his figures
some more if desired, including in more detail.
Feel free to ask.
Thank you for your time.
Best regards,
Mark Fox