[meteorite-list] numbering of meteorites

From: Rob Lenssen <rlenssen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:04 2004

Hi Dave,

It's not that I want to spoil your party, but I also own a
Sikhote-Alin-with-a-label, and just like you did some research.

This is what I found:

Krinov's book "Giant Meteorites" contains a great section about the
Sikhote-Alin meteorite shower. There are nice pictures like this one
(http://leden.tref.nl/~rlenssen/SA2.jpg) of some of the 313 unfragmented
whole single specimens found during the 1947-1950 expeditions. It also
contains a complete list of all specimens found, including their Soviet
Academy of Sciences inventory numbers. They are all four digit numbers
starting at least with a "1". Lots of 1600-numbers though.

In the journal Chem. d. Erde (15 Chem. Erde Bd. XXIX; in German) dated 1970
(Walter Zeitschel kindly provided me with a copy 6 years ago), Dr. Krinov
also reports about the 1967-1969 expeditions. Also some pictures here like
this one (http://leden.tref.nl/~rlenssen/SA3.jpg). Also two and three number
digits this time. Krinov reports about 958 more unfragmented whole single
specimens found. He talkes about good preservation of the crust, although
also having brown color due to oxidation. More expeditions were expected to
follow (1970 and later).

Dave, your typewritten '0086'-number on a "look like linen"-label, reminded
me of a picture a saw in a dealers catalog ("Catalog and handbook of
meteorites") I received in 1992. Does your sample look like this number
"0067", I scanned from the catalog: http://leden.tref.nl/~rlenssen/SA1.jpg ?
I don't know it's origin, but it certainly does not have the surface quality
of the 1947-1950 Krinov finds.

No answers here, but I hope you appreciate the information.

I am also stil looking for information on the orgin of my sample
(http://leden.tref.nl/~rlenssen/SikhoteAlin-7a.jpg ,
http://leden.tref.nl/~rlenssen/SikhoteAlin-7b.jpg ,
http://leden.tref.nl/~rlenssen/SikhoteAlin-7e.jpg). I bought it from Eric
Twelker from "meteoritemarket" + like it very much. It does not look be
wire-brushed or chemically cleaned. Trying to find some info, I sent an
Email to the curator of the Soviet Academy of Sciences collection two months
ago, but did not get an answer (yet).
Anybody else who can shed some light here?

Rob Lenssen