[meteorite-list] More About Mir eBay Auction (OT/Humor)

From: geoking_at_notkin.net <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:42 2004

Dear Listees and Igor:

Quick as a limpit! There is already, online, an article by "Wired,"
about the bogus eBay Mir auctions:
http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,42594,00.html It's called
"Mir Crashes: Wreckage on eBay"

At least one of the auction lots (the duct tape one) was staged as a
prank by eBay seller igor79, who runs quite an hilarious website at
http://www.drivenbyboredom.com

Like many members of this list, he seems to have a gripe against eBay
-- or maybe just enjoys a good prank -- as he has been offering all
sorts of brilliantly absurd lots including a "Stale Swedish Fish," a
"RARE PICKLE," and "1 Page From Orwell's '1984'" Most of these lots
were commanding prices considerably less than a dollar. A "Chewed
Ball Point Pen: NO RESERVE!" for instance, has a current bid of $.07

Evidently -- as a result of the Mir prank -- many of Igor's auctions
were forcibly ended by eBay . . . and that does seems a bit mean. He
has retaliated by offering a "Fake Piece of the Mir Space Station,"
which is currently sitting at $3.52. He suggests telling your friends
"that it fell out of the sky and you found it in Fiji." The category
in which it's being offered is" "Collectibles: Weird Stuff: Totally
Bizarre."

In case anyone wants to up the bid by a penny or two:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1000268057

I must say, I haven't had such a good laugh in ages.

Geoff N.

p.s. I am sending a CC of this email to Igor.

Geoffrey Notkin
Senior Art Director
Stanegate Studios/Notkin.net
P.O. Box 87, Jersey City, NJ 07303

Telephone: (201) 435-8888 Fax: (201) 946-1199

Email: geoking_at_notkin.net ammonite@aol.com
Web: www.notkin.net

A paleontologist has more cause than most to reflect upon time: its
measurement, its span, and its consequences.

  -- Richard Fortey