[meteorite-list] Researcher Says Tons of the Moon on the Earth; Tektite Events May Have Triggered Extinctions

From: Darryl S. Futrell <futrelds_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:42 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_zagami.jpl.nasa.gov>
Date: Friday, March 23, 2001 11:14 AM
Subject: [meteorite-list] Researcher Says Tons of the Moon on the Earth;
Tektite Events May Have Triggered Extinctions

There is one important correction I'd like to make about that ENN article.
I don't recall ever publishing any statement about that Apollo 12 rock
(however, O'Keefe and Chapman did have a lot to say about it). And, I have
never mentioned that Apollo 14 rock (a glass bead), originally written up by
Bill Glass and J. A. O'Keefe, in any of my publications or statements. This
is because the original analysis of the bead turned out to be defective.
Bill Glass later published a retraction. My interest in the Apollo rocks is
mainly in the small high-silica glass beads and chips found in the soils.
Bill Glass is the only researcher I know of who ever looked for any. He
concluded that a number of them were probably volcanic.

Darryl Futrell

>http://enn.com/direct/display-release.asp?id=3798
>
>Vector Science News Release
>Thursday, March 22, 2001
>
>Researcher Says Tons of the Moon on the Earth; Tektite Events May Have
>Triggered Extinctions
>
>The Moon is not the geologically dead world that most astronomy textbooks
>claim, says Darryl S. Futrell, a California-based petrologist. Futrell
>believes there's strong evidence of massive, lunar-volcanic explosions
right
>here on Earth. The most recent eruption on the Moon, which showered a
>portion of the Earth with many tons of natural glass, occurred within the
>past 770,000 years, he notes.
>
>Futrell, who has written about his studies of meteoritic stones called
>tektites in the journal Nature, says he has amassed evidence that strongly
>suggests these natural glass stones are volcanic material blown off the
Moon