[meteorite-list] Meteorite Association

From: Mark Miconi <mam602_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:41 2004

>Suppose the association is not one of dealers, but
>meteorite enthusiastes.

Enthusiasts...Got a nice ring to it......Sounds less like a lynch mob and
more like people that really enjoy their interest, at whatever "level" that
might be. I belonged to a Model Rocket Group some years back. We had all
kinds of "individuals", Beginners to Experts to Purists. None of us ever
really agreed about much, except that we loved to fly rockets. Some members
were builders that sold kits, some were even "Hobby Shop Owners", go figure.
They made money on us, sometimes over charged, and sometimes would outfit a
kid with all they needed to get a start.

Point in am trying to make is...Keeping in mind the rarity of Meteorites,
and the Flood of interest, they only "Difference between that group and the
one this group is discussing is that WE had to face each other EVERY time we
got together. I feel one of the "weak" points of the internet is the lack of
face to face.
That is this groups biggest hurdle, once over that the rest should be easy.
In the Rocket group everyone had to state their interests, level of skill,
whether they were dealers, shop owners, there to make money, there to fly
rockets.

Be the enthusiasts' I as a new person found really cool when I joined the
list 3-4 months ago. I knew nothing, when I asked a question someone,
sometimes lots of someones answered it. I was wowed by the JPL'rsand the
real scientists, envious of the travelers, and the buyers, happy to see that
some where dealers in hopes of buying some of my own Meteorites. My 7 year
old just bought his first...nothing special...an 18gr Sikhote, he may rust
it to nothing as he will not put it down. Thats what this group should be
about. Helping, Learning, Buying, Selling, Discovery. Someone has to sell
these things, some are only in it for the money, will all of them say it up
front? Come on it may be CyberSpace but we are all Eartlings after all.
I do not have all the answers, heaven knows if I did I would be getting a
pretty penny for them....LOL(humor). But I would like to think that with all
the "Human" Power and Brain Power this group of enthusiasts has it could
come up with a simple charter, in simple terms, and go from there. Tell
everyone who joins that the intent is to have fun, enjoy at their level;
look out for others and most of all..."If it harms no other, Do as one
shall". Bad apples have one thing going for them...most times they are easy
to spot in a basket.

I realize this has probably all been said before, so I will put away my soap
box and go to bed. Something I just thought of....Isn't belonging to this
Elist, belonging to an association?

Thanks for listening....Mark Miconi