[meteorite-list] So much for copyright

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:40 2004

Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] So much for copyright
To: FERNLEA4_at_aol.com
From: meteorites_at_space.com
Date: 17 Mar 2001 08:38:36 PST

On Sat, 17 March 2001, FERNLEA4_at_aol.com wrote:

> Hello list.
>
> A new, printed list of meteorites for sale is being distributed by a dealer
> in France - I received my copy in the mail just today. Unfortunately, the
> seller has compiled his catalogue by ripping off my web site. It's a complete
> cut and paste job with the text exactly as I wrote it, and the fonts, style
> and colours are all identical to my site. Even my page 1 welcome message has
> been perfectly copied word for word.
>
> I'm sure this can be resolved quickly and easily, but I want to make it quite
> clear to anyone who receives a copy that this catalogue may look exactly the
> same as a Fernlea sales listing but it is NOT!!
>
> A couple of US dealers have also had their web site entries and pictures
> copied onto later pages in this catalogue but I seem to have copped for the
> worst of it.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob Elliott.
> http://fernlea.tripod.com/forsale.html
> Fernlea Meteorites,
> The Wynd,
> Milton of Balgonie,
> Fife. KY7 6PY
> United Kingdom
> Tel: +44-(0)1592-751563
> Fax: +44-(0)1592-751991
> Email: fernlea4_at_aol.com
This is just another reason why it behooves us to consider the "A" word as in "Association" We as individuals have little clout, but if we organize as in the "Association of Legitimate Meteorite Dealers" then pirates such as this louse would be excluded. If they pirate our sites, and lists we as an association could do something about it, not only in the market, but legally as well.

Otherwise-- to each his own.

Again-- anyone willing to consider the "A" word again? Steve Schoner, American Meteorite Survey

Join the Space Program: Get FREE E-mail at http://www.space.com.