[meteorite-list] Evansville Man's Hobby Is Definitely Out Of This World

From: Rhett Bourland <rbourlan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:39 2004

Just a few notes on this article being as I am the one witht the hobby that
is out of this world.
The first part of the article where he's just writing is pretty good and I
was very happy with. The second part was a Q&A session that I don't ever
remember taking part in. The columnist would take parts of what I said when
answering one question and threw it into other the reply to other questions.
Not only that but changed my wording around a bit in places which REALLY
made some of the stuff lose its meaning. I wasn't real happy about it. The
first question where my reply was about that there are 4 other people around
here that have smaller collections. He left out the words "that I've met"
and also later in that response "evidence of" Martian bacteria. Also, going
on other list members work I got the 100,000 meteorites fall. He left out
the words "a year." I'm not exactly sure where he got the number of 7,000
that have been ID'd. At one point he goes on about how I spent 200 (when I
said "almost 200") for one small piece of Mars (DaG476) and then makes it
sound like, even though I'm out of work right now, I'm still spending that
much on meteorites. No, since I've been out of work I've bought a piece of
Dhofar 7 for $20 and did a computer stuff for an Odessa indvidual. Another
part I mentioned that I had loaned my pieces to the local university in
response to one question and in another part I said that the teacher offered
to let me talk about my personal pieces but I declined in response to
another question. So how does that come out in the newspaper? "I took a
geology course at USI. The teacher admitted I knew more about meteorites
than she did so when that part of the subject came up, I got to be the
teacher. It was even better than going to the head of the class." This
woman has her master's in planetary science. She got it doing original
research on oxidation rates in various metamorphic grades of L and LL
chondrites while studying under Harry McSween. In fact, she was the one
that turned me onto his work. I do NOT know more about meteorites than she
does. She is easily the most knowledgeable person that I've ever met on the
subject.
Sorry if this post was rather long but I just wanted to clarify some things
in this article.
Rhett Bourland
www.evansville.net/~rbourlan