[meteorite-list] A couple pretty thin section photos

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:36 2004

dean bessey wrote:

> The first one in particular is probably the
> nicest thin section that I have ever seen.

> http://www.meteoriteshop.com/aa-thinsections.htm

Hi Dean and List,

Ever since Dean posted those terrific pics of the two thin sections of
unclassified Moroccan meteorites, I've been looking at the first of
these TS's again and again.
Something was very unusual about it, something unexpected, something
unfamiliar. But what was it? Now I know! There are 3 big chondrules
aligned perpendicularly right through the middle and another, a 4th
chondrule to the right, just like the letter "L". In between the latter
two, in the 6 o'clock position and a bit lower, there is an unfamiliar
"prismatic" (oblong, elongated, rectangular) "object". Have you examined
this peculiar "something" in polarized light? What could it be? What
about its birefringence colors and its pleochroism? Somehow, it does
not quite fit into its "chondrule-infested" surroundings?!

Best wishes,

Curious Bernd