[meteorite-list] Carolina Bays

From: Steven Singletary <jumper_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:30 2004

Well, I don't know about concrete, but there was an interesting theory put
forth about ten years ago (or there abouts) by Dr. Tom Ross, chair of the
Geology and Geography Dept. at UNC-Pembroke. As you know, that area of the
Carolinas was underwater not too long ago, geologically speaking. He
suggests the bays are whale wallows. If you've ever seen a fish bed,
you'll know what I'm talking about. They get near the bottom and create
turbulence with their fins to build up a bed, Bream are notorious for this.
 The beds sort of resemble the bays but on a much smaller scale. So when
sea level was higher, whales came in and made "beds".

Now, please keep in mind, this was a tongue-in-cheek article that appeared
in the local newspaper and you wouldn't believe how many people fell for it
hook, line, and sinker. There is one right behind our house and I always
thought it was more interesting to imagine a big whale wallowing just above
the sea floor than for the bay to be from weathering.