[meteorite-list] ureilite / venus connection

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:29 2004

Steve Schoner wrote:
> Michael, your response surprises me, as you have in the past
> demonstrated great interest in "stretch" tektites......IN my
> humble opinion the existence of these very rare stretch
> tektites settle the issue.....
------
Yes,
        In your opinion.
        In the opinion of others, they do no such thing.
         (And, by the way, the tennor of your post did NOT sound in
any way "humble." In fact, it sounded agressive, dogmatic and,
dare I say, "religious.")
        You accused Darryl, a gentle man who has spent YEARS of hard
work exploring and expanding on what delights him and in what
he believes - a fine, elderly GENTLEMAN - of holding to the lunar
origin theory as if it were "religion," yet, from the perspective
of one who is NOT invested in either of these THEORIES (as that
is ALL they are - theories - NOT proven fact) it looks to me like you
and the other terrestrial theorists are equally "religious" about
your opinions and your theories.
        I have read tons of liturature from BOTH sides and my opinion
is that both sides are defending THEORIES - something I never could
quite grasp as reasonable, AND CERTAINLY NOT SCIENTIFIC! Great if
one postulates a theory, if one expounds on a theory and if one
elaborates on a theory. But to defend it over and over and over
and to hammer and hammer and hammer, insisting in its validity
is NOT "scientific" in the least. THAT is what I find booring!
        I quit reading endless discussions on the ALH84001 debate for
the SAME REASON. In both cases, I will be happy to read or hear
about NEW information, and delighted to get some PROOF. Until
then, I, personally, have had enough of simply increasing the
volume and repatition when someone doesn't adhere to a theory.
        I do not need the volume increased. It does absolutely nothing
for me to have the volume increased. Having it said 27 times does
not in any way increase my likelihood of embracing one side or the
other. And why on earth should anyone CARE which way I believe
about it, anyway?
        If y'all want to write to each other endlessly about it, knock
yourselves out - as I said, perhaps others - perhaps MANY others -
on this list want to read about it too. No problem, I have a delete
button (actually, I save them all in a special "Tektite Debate"
folder).
        But PLEASE, don't tell me I SHOULD view stretch tektites as "proof"
that they came about as the result of an earth impact. (I am not saying
they didn't - I just do not see them as PROVING anything at all, except
that they were in a semi-molten state when they formed. Period.)
        If you see it otherwise, good on you. If Darryl or Hal Povenmire
or B.P. Glass see it as "proof" they are the result of lunar vulcanism,
good on them. If someone else sees them as "proof" that they came
from the planet Crypton, Romulus or Vulcan, fine. If any of you write
something that convinces me, fine. If not, fine.
        Meanwile, it's dandy with me if you continue indefinately with your
"debate" - just play nice and keep me out of it. I do NOT have to care,
I do NOT have to see it this way or that way. You are not the first to
lay this horse pucky on me. Honestly, that is like 12 year old kids
with, "you're either for us or against us" routieen!
        It is inane to tell me I "should" care about it a certain
way or believe a certain way, etc. AND TO IMPLY MY INTEREST IS
EXCLUSIVELY FINANCIAL in an attempt to empower what you obviously
see as a "battle" with which you have become personally identified is
really beneeth you, Steve. You are a better person than that.
        I find tektites, and stretch tektites, in particular, absolutely
engaging - AND I see tektites, all togeather, AS AN INIGMA - so, you
all can put that in your pipes and smoke it!
        'nuff said, Michael

--
Eat a live toad in the morning and nothing worse
can happen to you for the rest of the day.