[meteorite-list] rlv

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:29 2004

On Fri, 06 July 2001, "Darryl S. Futrell" wrote:

> What's this about the moon ceasing magmatic activity 3.9 billion years ago?
> That's simple not true. I see that claim as merely an extension of the
> "tektites are terrestrial" farce. Pyroclastics continue through the
> present, as well as an occassional small scale basaltic flow. I invite you
> to check out some of the references below if you disagree. They are from a
> list of over 50 that I don't have typed into my computer yet.
>
> DSF

"Pyroclastics continue through the
> present, as well as an occassional small scale basaltic flow."

Pretty bold assertion-- especially without any solid facts to back it up.

A simple belch of hydrogen, or radon gas does not constitute evidence of a "pyroclastic... or small scale basaltic flow" on the Moon.

This kind of volcanic activity will produce HUGE amounts of gas-- not just hydrogen and or radon.

Perhaps such gas observations and "flashes" can be better explained by meteoroid impacts of carbonaceous or cometary material. I am sure that an impactor slamming into the moon at cosmic velocity will pretty much vaproize the impactor-- releasing *puffs* of hydrogen gas, and other gasses as well.

At any rate even if there were such "pyroclastc... or small scale basltic flow(s)" on the moon such events do not account, nor would the account for tektites as they are distributed over the surface of the Earth.

The problems for Lunar origin (as I previously outlined) pretty much eliminate the Moon as their source.

Steve Schoner
http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey