[meteorite-list] A query about GPS

From: Nick Gessler <gessler_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:29 2004

Hi Michael,

I have been buying Garmin GPS-12s for my classes in Computational
Cartography. You should be able to get them for around $160 or so. Shop
around - I made my deals with West Marine (search for them on the
Web). Amazon also carries them. I chose the Garmin GPS-12 because it has
been hacked and you can get the plugs and software without paying the
exorbitant prices that Garmin charges for accessories. For meteorite
documentation I highly recommend a 12 volt power cable and the PC data
cable. Garmin offers it as a dual-purpose cable for about $40, but you can
make your own if you have the gumption.

I recently bought their newer model eTrex Venture. The screen is superior
with much higher resolution and the machine is lighter, due largely to
smaller batteries with a consequently shorter battery life. However, it
shouldn't be a problem connecting larger batteries to the device.

I have some links up that might interest you since they connect to second
sources for the accessories and software...

Enjoy...

Nick